FIRST PART: BOOK 2: CHAPTER 1
DECADE I Agni
1. Agni, thy faithful servant I call upon thee with many a gift,
As in the keeping of the great inciting God.
2. To Agni, to the Hotar priest offer your best, your lofty speech,
To him ordainer like who bears the light of songs.
3. O Agni, thou who art the lord of wealth in kine, thou Son of Strength,
Bestow on us, O Jatavedas, high renown
4. Most skilled in sacrifice, bring the Gods, O Agni, to the pious, man:
A joyful Priest, thy splendour drives our foes afar
5. Taught by seven mothers at his birth was he, for glory of the wise.
He, firm and sure, hath set his mind on glorious wealth
6. And in the day our prayer is this: May Aditi come nigh to help,
With loving kindness bring us weal and chase our foes
7. Worship thou Jatavedas, pray to him who willingly accepts,
Whose smoke wanders at will, and none may grasp his flame
8. No mortal man can ever prevail by arts of magic over him
Who hath served Agni well, the oblation giving God.
9. Agni, drive thou the wicked foe, the evil hearted thief away,
Far, far, Lord of the brave! and give us easy paths!
10. O hero Agni, Lord of men, on hearing this new laud of mine
Burn down the Rakshasas, enchanters, with thy flame!
DECADE II Agni
1. Sing forth to him the holy, most munificent, sublime with his refulgent glow,
To Agni, ye Upastutas
2. Agni, he conquers by thine aid that brings him store of valiant sons and does great deeds,
Whose bond of friendship is thy choice
3. Sing praise to him the Lord of light! The Gods have made the God to be their messenger,
To bear oblation to the Gods.
4. Anger not him who is our guest! He is the bright God Agni, praised by many a man,
God Hotar, skilled in sacrifice.
5. May Agni, worshipped, bring us bliss: may the gift, blessed one! and sacrifice bring bliss.
Yea, may our eulogies bring bliss.
6. Thee have we chosen skilfullest in sacrifice, immortal Priest among the Gods,
Wise finisher of this holy rite.
7. Bring us that splendour, Agni, which may overcome each greedy fiend in our abode,
And the malicious wrath of men!
8. Soon as the eager Lord of men is friendly unto Manu s race
Agni averteth from us all the Rakshasas!
DECADE III Indra
1. Sing this, beside the flowing juice, to him your hero, much invoked,
To please him as a mighty Bull
2. O Satakratu Indra, now rejoice with that carouse of thine
Which is most glorious of all!
3. Ye cows, protect the fount: the two mighty ones bless the sacrifice.
The handles twain are wrought of gold.
4. Sing praises that the horse may come; sing, Srutakaksha, that the cow
May come, that Indra s might may come
5. We make this Indra very strong to strike, the mighty Vritra dead:
A vigorous hero shall he be.
6. Based upon strength and victory and power, O Indra, is thy birth:
Thou, mighty one! art strong indeed,
7. The sacrifice made Indra great when he unrolled the earth, and made
Himself a diadem in heaven.
8. If I, O Indra, were, like thee, the single ruler over wealth
My worshipper should be rich in kine.
9. Pressers, blend Soma juice for him, each draught most excellent, for him
The brave, the hero, for his joy.
10. Here is the Soma juice expressed. O Vasu, drink till thou art full:
Undaunted God, we give it thee
1. Surya, thou mountest up to meet the hero famous for his wealth,
Who hurls the bolt and works for man.
2. Whatever, Vritra slayer! thou, Surya hast risen upon to day,
That, Indra, all is in thy power.
3. That Indra is our youthful friend, who with his trusty guidanceled
Turvasa, Yadu from afar.
4. O Indra, let not ill designs surround us in the sunbeams light
This may we gain with thee for friend!
5. Indra, bring wealth that gives delight, the victor s ever conquering wealth,
Most excellent, to be our aid
6. In mighty battle we invoke Indra, Indra is lesser fight,
The friend who bends his bolt at fiends.
7. In battle of a thousand arms Indra drank Kadru s Soma juice
There he displayed his manly might.
8. Faithful to thee, we sing aloud, heroic Indra, songs to thee
Mark, O good Lord, this act of ours!
9. Hitherward! they who light the flame and straightway trim the sacred grass,
Whose friend is Indra ever young.
10. Drive all our enemies away, smite down the foes who press around,
And bring the wealth for which we long!
DECADE V Indra and others
1. I Hear, as though it were close at hand, the cracking of the whips they hold:
They gather splendour on their way.
2. Indra, these friends of ours, supplied with Soma, wait and look to thee
As men with fodder to the herd.
3. Before his hot displeasure all the peoples, all the men bow down,
As rivers bow them to the sea.
4. We choose unto ourselves that high protection of the mighty Gods,
That it may help and succour us.
5. O Brahmanaspati, make thou Kakshivan Ausija a loud
Chanter of flowing Soma juice!
6. Much honoured with libations may the Vritra slayer watch for us:
May Sakra listen to our prayer
7. Send us this day, God Savitar, prosperity with progeny
Drive thou the evil dream away!
8. Where is that ever youthful Steer, strong necked and never yet bent down?
What Brahman ministers to him?
9. There where the mountains downward slope, there at the meeting of the streams
The Sage was manifest by song.
10. Praise Indra whom our songs must laud, sole sovran of mankind, the chief
Most liberal who controlleth men